One thing to learn the hard way is: you have to own your crap. What you do, what you say, who you hurt; you have to own all of it.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Liberalism at School

Criminal law case studies are such painful but fascinating tasks. I have this new habit of citing case authorities even in casual conversations with my fellow seniors and classmates to crack ourselves into laughter. Nothing can stop me from falling in love with the academic arguments and fruitful discussions with these people. This is what I call a real study environment.


What excites me the most is the liberal culture that is practiced in this School. In most colleges in the Klang Valley, you find school management giving us cold shoulders despite the great amount of fees paid and complaints filed not entertained most of the time, unless parents' involvement create a certain surge of upholding consumers' rights amongst ignorant students. This is a fact. We, Malaysians are such typical Asians who care not to observe the fundamental rights we hold but care only of personal interests and family dignity. Maoism and Confucianism best reflect our binding rule of life, that is, to abide by the regulations laid down by the Elders and as long as we fulfill the social expectations we are good and successful human beings. No. I refuse to conform to Western Liberalism (drugs, sex without commitment etc) but I do believe in freedom of speech. If you do not believe in my point of view, do take a look at our education system. Memorising your teachers' teachings and following their instructions tightly are all about getting good grades. (of course it comes with hard work and a little bit of intelligence) Writing down every single word in academic references for homework in foreign countries may fail themselves because there is no personal touch of criticism and individuality. Now we know why we are far left behind, don't we? So, please start making a change by debating with your parents about politics and traditional customs.

The School and our Student Council co-organised this annual grand event called the Student Forum. The attendance of the Senior Managers of each department is compulsory and all students are invited to ask questions and raise any controversial issue. Those Senior Managers who are not able to provide a satisfying answer shall bear the shame of being incompetent in their work. Doesn't this resemble Question Time and Check on Executive? (I like Constitutional Law a lot) Being the usual clownful outspoken joker who does not formulate whatever message he wants to convey in his speech before opening his mouth, I stepped forward and told the whole School about my ridiculous story of the pests in my hostel room. (Killed 8 big juicy cockroaches so far. Got ambushed by a rat once) I demanded for a new room as I emphasised I deserved what I paid for and giving me a new, complete-furnished, pest-free room is the least the School can do to pay for all the costs I have incurred recently - the tiring moving in and out of my belongings to a temporary room and my loss of concentration during revision hours due to the flying cockroaches and rats.

I also praised the staff at the Accomodation Office and B & G Departments for being patient, friendly and responsive all this while. It was such a relief to have told the Senior Management about my situation but I doubt the School will provide me a new room. Sigh. Rooms are all booked in the hall, so said. What a lie. Nevertheless, the Student Forum was such a good platform for students to throw their doubts and voice their grievances toward the School that is achieving the 'University' status next year. I love the part where we are allowed to condemn the Management in public. How liberal of that! The least such a platform can do is to remind the Senior Managers they have to seriously take further actions to tackle all the issues concerned.


It made me wonder though. If the previous school I belonged to had organised an event as such or at least be more liberal to criticism, instead of forwarding students' blogs to the public, I would not have to undergo emotional roller-coaster and be forced to adapt to such a sudden change in environment albeit I love almost everything about the current School at the moment.

Liberalism has its downside though. 'It only takes 20 years for a liberal to become a conservative without changing a single idea.' - Robert Anton Wilson...

1 comment:

  1. well said! seems that you really enjoyed ur life there. glad to hear that

    ReplyDelete